5 Signs Probiotics Could Transform Your Dog’s Gut Health
From digestive care to stress reduction, explore how functional supplements like prebiotics and probiotics can revolutionise your dog's health and vitality.
Ok dog lovers. We know it may sound somewhat absurd to think about doling out functional supplements or dog probiotics, but hey, just like us humans, dogs need a healthy gut to thrive. And let’s face it, just like a large portion of adult Australians, millions of Aussie dogs have WAY too much processed food in their diets (think kibble here) that is doing their guts no justice. It’s time to give their digestive systems the attention they deserve, because a happy gut means a happy mutt!
Just like humans, dogs have a delicate balance of bacteria in their gut, and maintaining that balance is key to their overall health. It’s essential to understand the difference between dog prebiotics and dog probiotics and the significance of both. Dog prebiotics are non-digestible fibres that serve as a food source for beneficial bacteria in the gut. They act as nourishment for the existing good bacteria, helping them flourish and maintain a healthy balance. By contrast, dog probiotics are live beneficial bacteria introduced to the gut to boost the population of good bacteria. They actively provide various health benefits by improving digestion, enhancing the immune system, and promoting overall well-being.
While dog prebiotics provide the fuel for good bacteria, dog probiotics replenish and strengthen the gut microbiome. Together, they work synergistically to support optimal gut health for your furry friend. By incorporating both dog prebiotics and dog probiotics into your dog’s diet, you can provide comprehensive support for their digestive system, immune function, and overall vitality.
First off, what are some key signs that your dog might need some gut health support?
5 Signs Your Dog May Benefit from Prebiotic and Probiotic Supplements
If you’ve noticed any of the following signs in your dog, it may be time to consider adding probiotics to their daily routine for a period.
- Clear Digestive Issues: Recurring diarrhea, constipation, or excessive gas can indicate an imbalance in the gut microbiome that could benefit from probiotics.
- Allergies and Itching: Frequent itching, skin rashes, or allergic reactions may be a sign of an imbalanced immune system driven by gut health issues.
- Antibiotic Treatment: If your dog is undergoing antibiotic treatment, probiotics can help maintain the balance of good bacteria in their gut, preventing potential digestive disturbances.
- Transitioning to a New Diet: Introducing a new dog food can sometimes cause digestive upset. Probiotics can aid in the transition, supporting healthy digestion and minimizing any potential gastrointestinal issues.
- Stressful Situations: Changes in the environment, travel, or major life events can cause stress and anxiety in dogs and manifest in gut or digestive issues.
So – you’ve noticed one or multiple signs in your pooch and are considering trying out probiotics or prebiotics. What benefits can these functional supplements actually have for your dog?
Benefits of Prebiotic and Probiotic Supplements for Dogs
- Improved Digestion: Probiotics work to restore harmony in the gut microbiome, alleviating digestive issues and aiding quality dog poos!
- Enhanced Immune System: Probiotics may stimulate the production of antibodies and enhance the activity of immune cells, helping them fight off infections and diseases more effectively.
- Reduced Allergies for Itch-Free Days: Probiotics have the ability to modulate the immune response, reducing hypersensitivity and allergic reactions in your furry friend. By addressing the root cause of allergies – an imbalanced immune system – probiotics can provide relief from the discomfort and itching associated with allergic reactions.
- Improved Nutrient Absorption: Even if your dog’s diet is packed with all the essential nutrients, it’s essential that their body can absorb them efficiently. Probiotics aid in optimal nutrient absorption by breaking down food and ensuring that vital compounds are readily available for absorption.
- Stress and Anxiety Relief for a Calmer Companion: Stress and anxiety can take a toll on your dog’s well-being, just as it does on ours. Some studies suggest probiotics can reduce anxiety by influencing the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin.
Functional supplements like probiotics and probiotics offer a range of benefits for dogs, from improved digestion and enhanced immune function to reduced allergies and stress relief. If in doubt, please consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new supplements or making changes to your dog’s diet.
That’s why at Eureka we include a FREE week’s worth of prebiotics and probiotics in every new subscription. We’re committed to providing top-quality nutrition and digestive care, and want to ensure a seamless transition onto our food and set your dog up for a lifetime of pawsitively perfect gut health! Check out our range of droolworthy air dried recipes to get started today. Pssssst…. we will also be launching our own Gut Helper blend of prebiotics and probiotics later this year – watch this space!
Yes – I want free dog probiotics! What kind of digestive care dog food does Eureka offer?
Wild Venison & Grass Fed Lamb
An all-natural formulation loaded with wild-caught venison ethically harvested from Australia’s Alpine region. A prime source of B vitamins, zinc, phosphorus and iron, venison is also a great option for dogs who may have sensitivities to beef or chicken.
Wild Kangaroo & Grass Fed Lamb
As one of the leanest red meats available, Kangaroo is a fantastic high-protein option for dogs suffering from pancreatitis, obesity or diabetes. Plus it’s a naturally low-carbon source of protein, humanely sourced under the Australian code of practice for ethical harvesting.
Wild Boar & Free Range Chicken
A higher protein & lower fat option with the added anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric. FA fantastic option for senior dogs who may be limiting their fat intake and may need soothing for stiff or achy joints.